A sequel to the Great Pretender TV anime series has been announced on its official website. The sequel, titled Great Pretender razbliuto, will be released worldwide in 2024.
The announcement also revealed a new key visual and a trailer for the sequel anime. The visual features a new character named Dorothy, who is a skilled con artist.
Watch the trailer here:
The sequel anime will have many of the same production staff as the first season. Some of them are:
- Director and series scriptwriter: Hiro Kaburagi (Great Pretender season 1)
- Script supervisor: Ryouta Kosawa (Great Pretender season 1 screenwriter)
- Assistant director: Mai Teshima (Great Pretender season 1 Ep 13 and 20 episode director)
- Chief animation directors: Shousuke Ishibashi and Hirotaka Katou
- Art directors: Yumiko Sudou (Great Pretender season 1 image board co-artist) and Yuusuke Takeda
- Music composer: Yutaka Yamada
- Animation production: WIT Studio
The Great Pretender anime debuted in July 2020 on Fuji TV’s +UItra programming block. It had two cours with 23 episodes in total. Netflix streamed the anime exclusively outside of Japan, starting from August 2020.
The series also had a manga adaptation that ran from June 10, 2020 to August 20, 2020. It was published in Mag Garden’s Mag Comi and LINE manga platforms, but went on indefinite hiatus.
The anime’s official website gives the following synopsis:
Masato Edamura is supposedly Japan’s greatest swindler. Together with his partner Kudo, they try to trick a Frenchman in Asakusa but unexpectedly get tricked instead. The Frenchman, whom they tried to swindle, turns out to be Laurent Thierry — a much higher-level ‘confidence man,’ in control of the mafias. Edamura is yet to find out what fate awaits him, after having engaged in the Frenchman’s dirty jobs…!
Source: Official Website